Journey readings:
March 18 – March 23, 2013

by Living Springs Community Church on March 15, 2013

“The Journey” is Living Springs’ commitment to read at least a chapter of the Bible every day. We all follow the same reading schedule so that we can encourage each other along the way. And our pastors post occasional blogs about the readings to instruct and inspire us.

Want to join the Journey? This week’s daily readings are listed below, along with some questions to guide your reading. Sign up for the Journey blog, and you’ll receive the weekly reading schedule in your email inbox!

Genesis 27

Before Isaac died what did he want Esau to do for him?  What was Isaac’s blessing for Jacob?  What was Isaac’s blessing for Esau?  What did Esau resolve to do to Jacob after Isaac’s death?  Where did Rebekah send Jacob?

Genesis 28

What did Jacob dream on the way to Haran?  What was he promised in his dream?  What did Jacob call the place?

Genesis 29

What did Jacob ask from Laban as payment for his work?  Whom did Laban give to Jacob in marriage?  How much longer did Jacob serve Laban?

Genesis 30

Why did Laban want Jacob to stay?  What did Jacob use to help the livestock ‘conceive’?  Where did he place them?

Genesis 31

Who told Jacob to leave Laban’s household?  What did Rachel take from Laban’s house? How long had Jacob stayed with Laban?

Genesis 32

Why did Jacob send gifts to Esau?  With whom did Jacob think he had wrestled?  What did Jacob want this man to do for him?  What happened to Jacob’s hip?

a

Print Friendly

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Ronica Miller March 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Well, I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time. So now, I would like some additional insights on the topic of marriage/sexual relations within one family. As I have been reading the chapters, it has been something that has come up time and time again as the different stories are being told. For example, someone marrying their half sister or first cousin or Lot sleeping (albeit unknowingly) with his daughters. I am sure it has to do with the context of the times, but I would like any additional insight about this matter.

Thank you.

Dave Izenbart March 21, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hi Ronika,
That is a great question, thanks for asking. Here is the short answer… God spelled out his intention and design for marriage and gave us a sexual ethic at the very beginning in Genesis 2:24-25… “For this reason a man will leave hi father and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh. The man has his wife were both naked and felt no shame.” God’s intention and design for marriage and our sexuality was one man and one woman together for ever. Any sex outside of this (e.g. incest, multiple marriages, homosexual practice, etc.) was not God’s intention and design and therefore was sinful.

I stated in an earlier post… Sometimes there is a tendency by people to try to “spiritually romanticize” the Biblical characters and try and read “good” into their actions. I think often the scriptures show just the opposite – the sinful humanity of many of the Biblical characters who actually give us an example of how not to behave, and show the depravity of what happens when we don’t follow the Lord as we ought. In the case of Lot and his daughters for example – It is a clear picture of what happens when a person is surrounded by an intensely immoral culture, and does not surround himself with other godly people or pursue the Lord. It also shows his intense fear of the wicked people that surrounded him.

In the ancient times, sometimes intermarriage was allowed because of the intensely sinful culture that surrounded God’s people – that basically had no sexual ethic (the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is a good example) and God’s desire to protect the people from this.

God further reveals, and clarifies His sexual ethics for the people of God in the Mosaic law found in Exodus 20, Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I would also point you to Pastor Jason’s post on Genesis 19 that he wrote earlier. Blessings on you as you continue to read, study and seek to understand God’s word and keep the questions coming.
Pastor Dave

Ronica Miller March 22, 2013 at 3:13 am

Thank you for that information. I am trying to get to understand the effect of building families based on these intra-family relations back then. It is hard for me to not wonder if the children/descendants were punished for the choices made by the parents. If so, why would that be since the offspring is innocent?

Thanks again.

Melanie Jongsma March 22, 2013 at 7:43 am

Hi Ronica, I’m a member of Living Springs too, and I’ve been following the Journey like you. One thing I notice about life back in Bible times is that there was a much bigger emphasis on community than what we’re used to in America today. I mean, it’s like people were expected to be responsible for each other. And families especially were responsible for each other. I think it’s not so much that the children were being “punished” for their parents’ sins, but they did suffer the consequences. It doesn’t seem fair to us, but I think it was supposed to motivate parents to make good choices—because their choices would affect not only themselves but also their descendants, and that was a big deal. That’s my take on it anyway.

Ronica Miller March 22, 2013 at 12:00 pm

That’s a good point Melanie. Thank you for that. Yeah, I was wondering if God had spoken to how these choices would play out for the future generations. But, the idea is not that complicated when you put it that way. It’s the same as today. The choices we make do not only affect us, but the people in our lives (parents, siblings, children, friends). We like to think that we are adults and our choices are our own, but we are responsible for each other. God shows us that in so many ways.

Thanks again.

Melanie Jongsma March 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I tend to forget that because I’m a pretty independent person, and even though I read about how important community is in the Bible, I don’t always live that way. So I’m glad you brought it up and made me start thinking about it again. Thank YOU!

Beverly Simmons March 23, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Being a parent of four adult children, I cannot comprehend all the deception that took place with Isaac and Rebekah. From the beginning when Jacob and Esau were born and as they grew, Isaac favored Esau and Rebekah favored Jacob. To me that set the stage for disention between the children right there. To have Rebekah to encourage Jacob to steal his brothers’ Blessings and Birthright, I just could not have imagined doing that with my children. What parent would not want to see all their children Blessed, Happy and Doing Well. This whole stage leads on to further deception and scheming. For some reason this part really got me because all families have conflicts or whatever and you try to resolve it and get through it, not cause it. I do believe that you may be closer to one child than another, but you still love the ones just as much. Well I am so thankful I wasn’t back in the Bible time. Let’s all continue to be Encouraged and Enlightned at God’s Goodness and Faithfulness as we continue to read. Many Blessings!